ManAlive in Christ
ManAlive in Christ, or ManAlive for short, is a discussion-based catechesis apostolate for men developed in 2007. The first course on Marriage and Family (based on Pope John Paul II's document Familiaris Consortio) was held in early 2008 at Saint Patrick's Catholic Church in Arcola. The pastor, Fr. Cyril Fernandes, and the men who participated, asked enjoyed the program so much that they asked for more courses. A program based on Pope Benedict XVI's Deus Caritas Est (God is Love) was written as was a course for Lent 2010. Bishop Kevin Rhoades reviewed these courses in spring 2010 and granted them an Imprimatur approving them for use in catechesis. He commissioned other courses that he thought would be particularly beneficial for men in our diocese. Each course is reviewed by Bishop Rhoades before it is made available for use. Each lesson lasts 90 minutes and provides ample time for discussion. Anyone who wants to lead a group can do so as long as he has his pastor's permission and he desires to follow Church teaching. Each course has a study guide for participants and a leader's guide that helps leaders by providing tips on running meetings and suggested answers for discussion questions if men are not sure how to approach one of the questions.
Some key aspects of each course:
- No preparation is necessary, although men will get more out of each lesson if they read ahead of time
- Opening and closing prayers
- A Gospel reflection that correlates with each lesson topic and helps men learn how to meditate on a Gospel passage
- Catechesis sections that rely heavily on the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the writing of saints and great spiritual writers
- Discussion questions based on the personal experiences of men, how men see current society, and how men can apply what they learn in the document. Questions do not ask to merely repeat what is learned in each lesson.
- A lesson review read aloud by the men so that no one has to teach. This brief lesson review (based on the document studied) keeps teaching to a minimum so that more discussion can take place.
- A Faith Dare at the end that men decide to perform the following week to live out one aspect of they learned during the lesson.
- Courses are FREE
- Men need to have a Bible, Catechism, and a copy of whatever document is being studied (No document is used for Lent and Advent Courses)
- MEN ONLY - a great opportunity to talk about the things that matter most with other men who want to follow Christ
Currently available courses:
- Men and Marriage (Based on Familiaris Consortio) - 12 lessons
- God is Love (Based on Deus Caritas Est) - 10 lessons
- Integral Human Development in Charity and Truth (Based on Pope Benedict XVI's Caritas in Veritate, this is an up-to-date primer on Catholic Social Teaching) - 16 lessons
- Lent: Path to Conversion - Year A (2014, 2017, 2020, 2023, etc.) - Lent courses are based on the Sunday Gospels of Lent and over a 3-year period discuss the major aspects of the Catholic faith including the seven sacraments, faith, hope, love, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary, Conversion, Repentance, Virtue, Salvation, Prayer, and the Four Last Things - 6 lessons
- Lent: Path to Conversion - Year B (2012, 2015, 2018, 2021, etc.) - 6 lessons
- Lent: Path to Conversion - Year C (2013, 2016, 2019, 2022, etc.) - 6 lessons
- Advent: Waiting for Christ - 4 lessons
- Courses based on Pope Benedict XVI's two-volume Jesus of Nazareth
- The Sermon on the Mount - 9 lessons
- The Our Father - 5 lessons
- The Parables of Jesus - 4 lessons
- The Passion of Christ - available summer 2012
- The Post-Resurrection Appearances of Christ - available summer 2012
Courses are available by sending an e-mail to Dr. Thomas McGovern at ManAlive@centurylink.net
Listen to ManAlive Minutes anytime in the Redeemer Radio Audio Library!
go to page top ^